Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Masking Fluid



Unity's facebook challenge this week is to make a tag. I went with a sort of mixed media style, which I'm not that good with yet. Collage work is not my thing!

Anyway, what I wanted to share most is the masking fluid part. I saw a YouTube video showing other things you could use instead of the pre-made masking fluid, and Elmers Rubber Cement was one of them. And I must say, it works wonderfully!!

So, here's how it works. Stamp your image using a permanent ink. I used MFT hybrid ink. Distress doesn't work as well because it is reactive with water, and your image may smear. After stamping, apply a thin coat of the rubber cement using a flat paint brush, and wash it out right away or it will mess up the brush. The cement doesn't take long to dry, and will still be a little tacky throughout the process.

Now it's ready to be painted, distressed, sprayed, whatever you fancy. Once that is all dry you can now remove the cement. Just rub your finger over it and it will ball up and come right off! No tearing or pilling of the paper whatsoever, and I love that!! I tried this technique on three different types/weights of paper, and it worked on every one.

Now, back to this tag. My background was made using distress inks(finally bought some!) splashed with water, texture medium with a homemade stencil from a die, cork shapes(from the same die) and some inked ribbon. The floral image is from Unity's April SMAK kit and sentiment from Give Love-Laugh Lots kit.

Hope you enjoyed my little how to. I know I'll be doing this a lot! Thank you so much for visiting!


2 comments:

Meggymay said...

A beautiful mixed media tag Pam. Masking fluid is a great produt, I don't think we can get the one you used here in the UK. It is a great ''How to use'' post.
Yvonne xx

http://cheryl-cherylscreativeatcscards.blogspot.co.uk/ said...

oh super mixed media tag hun love,how you have used the fluid really is super creative hun hugs Cherylxxxx